Sunday, March 18, 2007

TV Shows I'm Watching - Heroes (Episode 18)

Episode 18 – Parasite - *** out of 4

Sorry I haven’t written this review until now, but since the next episode frustratingly won’t be airing until the end of April I didn’t feel the urgency.

So, after the season’s best episode, Company Man, Heroes leaves sweeps season with a good, albeit slightly disappointing episode. Part of my problem is that Heroes tends to work best when it focuses on one or two storylines. Parasite is all over the map, incorporating every hero into multiple storylines.

The best story this week is between Suresh and Sylar. After weeks of Sylar posing as a friend, Suresh finally reveals that he has known about his true identity for quite some time, and turns the tables. It’s a nice twist, and finally shows that Suresh is a fairly smart guy, although later on when he lets his guard down, the episode really gets interesting.

The other interesting storyline relates to Claire’s Dad who wasn’t entirely determined to wipe away all memories of Claire’s escape. His wife has some shocking news for him, and it’s fun to see him struggle once again with his company ties and his fatherly role.

Moderately interesting is the Nathan Petrelli storyline. Finally, after a season of hinting the audience finally meets Linderman (a cool casting choice that is unfortunately ruined by the opening credits). Linderman makes Nathan an interesting deal that will hopefully play out in later episodes.

I have to admit that I have grown quite tired of Hiro’s quest of late. Stripping him of his powers on a mission to find a magic sword has just been an awful storyline, and I hope that this episode finally sees an end to it. It’s just painful to see the most interesting character get sidetracked by busy work while everyone else gets to have something to do with the big picture.

As for Peter and Isaac I was less than thrilled with how the Simone shooting wrapped up. I mean, show some emotion for Pete’s sake. I really got the feeling that both men kind of got over her way too quickly. Shouldn’t this make Isaac and Peter sworn enemies? Isn’t that how these things usually work? I got the feeling that Isaac was more interested in slapping Peter on the wrist than wreaking some kind of maniacal revenge. I hope I’m wrong.

The episode wrapped up with some nice surprises, including a particularly nasty predicament for Peter, more family secrets from Claire, and a journey through time for Hiro and Ando.

No comments: